Since kendo is foreign to the United States and is deeply steeped in Japanese tradition, many Americans feel lost in the cultural differences. Atlanta Kendo Kai does not endorse a particular author or publishing company, however, below are some examples of literature, but not limited to these choices, that may assist in gaining knowledge and comfort in the kendo and budo culture.
- Kendo: The Definitive Guide by Hiroshi Ozawa
- Looking at a Far Mountain: A study of kendo kata by Paul Budden
- In the Dojo: A Guide to the Rituals and Etiquette of the Japanese Martial Arts
- The Essence of Budo: A Practitioners Guide to Understanding the Japanese Martial Ways by Dave Lowry
- Moving Toward Stillness: Lessons in Daily Life from the Martial Ways of Japan by Dave Lowry
- Sword and Brush: The Spirit of the Martial Arts by Dave Lowry